Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Friday, June 8, 2007

Day #14 on the lake

Friday, June 8th, 2007

Calm before the storm; then Wunderground says max gusts were 30, bull. Definitely 40-ish.


Does today count? Well, I (barely) sailed, so I guess it must.

I was going to give Robyn more lessons today. The forecast was SW 10-15, but at 10:30 it was winder than that and really gusty. Bob H. and I talked and he decided to not go out. Robyn and I talked; she had a 10:30 meeting, but said to give her friend Gail a call. Gail grew up in Hawaii, looks 30-ish, knows how to surf and windsurfed 25 years ago. Robyn said we would hit it off.

I called Gail and she got to Cook as I got the 5.5 rigged. It was really up and down and I would have rigged 7.5 for myself, but with impending storms, I didn’t want to get caught out with too much sail, so I figured I would sail the 5.5 if the wind arrived before the rain and lightning.

Gail was cool and wanted to learn so, against my better judgment, I had her out on the Fanatic and 5.5 Wow, she struggled a bit before she got uphauled, but she sailed the Fanatic. I was really impressed. She managed to stay upwind for quite awhile headed for Bear Island, but the wind picked up and she drifted a ways downwind as she caught her breath. She tried to get going again, but was now downwind and never had enough wind to get going again. I knew she was tired, so I walked along the beach, took her sandals and sailed the board back to the beach.

We talked for 15-20 minutes, she left, the wind and lightning came at the same time, and I was glad to be in the shadow of my car as I derigged in 30-35 winds.

No comments: