Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Day #16 on the lake >> YEAH, BABY!

Tuesday, June 12th, 2007

Max Temperature 88 °F / 31 °C
Wind Speed 4 mph / 8 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 18 mph / 30 km/h
Max Gust Speed 24 mph / 39 km/h
GPS Top Speed: 20.7 MPH


What a great day! It’s 6:15 and still blowing 15 gusting to 21. The forecasts all said NE 5-10. Once forecast last night said 5-15, but this morning that was gone. Still, I had a feeling it would hit 15 and boy was I right! I sailed 7.5 and I bet I planed all but 10 minutes at most.

I checked the dam, but parking was pretty busy even at 11:30, so I went to Hamilton Creek boat ramp and it looked great; side-on and a fair amount of whitecaps up by Bear Island. I thought I could make it up there on 7.5 and AHD, so that is what I took and I was right. I had a bazillion great runs and worked my way up even with Anderson Road Swimming Area and the Elm Hill cliffs. It wa sha-weet! I sailed for an hour and 55 minutes, then came back in. Robyn was finally bringing her own gear, but had no mast and I needed to be there to lend her the correct mast and get her rigged.

Robyn has a narrowish 9′10″ Seatrend and about a 1988 Pryde 6.2 Sprint RAF. My 460 was a bit stiff for the sail, but it rigged okay and off she went. She immediately went downwind as she always does, but she stuck it out and worked her way back upwind. I guess she was out about an hour and I was really proud of her.

When she came back in, I sailed the board across the lake and got planing with the 6.2, but could not make it to the straps, so I moved the mastfoot back and inch and got in the front strap on the way back. What a nice day!

No comments: