Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Day #32 on the lake

Max Temperature 84 °F / 28 °C
Wind Speed 5 mph / 9 km/h (NNE)
Max Wind Speed 20 mph / 32 km/h
Max Gust Speed 31 mph / 50 km/h

The forecast was iffy and Bob H. had errands, so I planned on staying off the lake; but when Monte called around 2:45, I was dying to get out there. We met at Hamilton Creek 30 minutes later and I rigged 9.5/AHD as the whitecaps blew over near Bear Island. Monte has a BIC Wing with a nightmare boom, so I figured I would quickly leave him in the dust.

Nope. He got on the water before I did. I caught a gust and waterstarted, then schlogged for 30 minutes. Not only was Monte faster (except for the 2-3 short runs I had), he went upwind really well. I wish I had brought the Superlight so I could have better taken advantage of having someone to sail with.

Oh well, I'm sure glad we got out. It was a fabulous day.



No comments: