Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Day #9 on the lake

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007

Max Temperature 87 °F / 30 °C and sunny
Wind Speed 2 mph / 7 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 13 mph / 20 km/h
Max Gust Speed 18 mph / 30 km/h
GPS: Didn’t bother


Today’s S 5-15 forecast was pretty on the mark for a change. I took the AHD and Bee to Cook and it was blowing better than expected with a a few whitecaps. I rigged the 7.5 Bee, made a couple schlogging trips almost to Hamilton Creek and back before I got far enough upwind to hit the good stuff. I had maybe 5-6 good runs in the straps and man it was nice, but I could see it was dying, so after 30 minutes I went back to rig the 9.5. I was wearing the Camelbak and threw an energy thingy in it, hoping to stop somewhere for a pick-me-up.

I rigged the 9.5 according to specs for a change, meaning 30cm mast extension as recommended instead of 25, and I had her floppy down to the 3rd batten. Big mistake, I was hurting for power.

I sailed toward Hamilton Creek again, tacked a bunch trying to get upwind and realized I couldn’t point for crap. I thought about coming back to Cook, which was a straight shot, but I’d had a hard enough time getting upwind and didn’t want to lose it. I finally got to Bear Island and backed off the downhaul and I thought that would put more space between the foot of the sail and the cleat than I wanted, but it was just fine.

I had my energy thing and was glad I brought it. The air was in the mid-80’s but the water felt a little cool and I was actually chilly on shore for a minute when the wind honked.

Back on the water, the 9.5 was much better now. I usually go with 25cm extension for light wind and now I am certain that is right for the light stuff. I sailed for two hours on the 9.5/AHD.

When I saw it dying, I went in and got the air mattress out and carried that and my chair down to the beach. I only used the air mattress for a few minutes because I heard the maintenance guy with his weedeater, then heard the riding mower.

I did not want to go back out and leave an entire rig (or anything for that matter) on the beach where these 2-cycle morons would spray pebbles on it, so I sat in the chair and enjoyed the sun. Finally after 1:45 minutes, they came down my way and I said screw it, packed up and left. It was a very good day; I saw only a couple of power boats and four PWC, none of whom came anywhere close to me.

No comments: