Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Day #8 on the lake

Max Temperature 83 °F / 28 °C
Surface water temperature is 74.3 degrees Fahrenheit, and 74.1 degrees at 10 feet.
Wind Speed 2 mph / 7 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 14 mph / 22 km/h
Max Gust Speed 20 mph / 32 km/h
My Max GPS Speed: 22.4 mph
Total Distance: 10.45 miles


Today’s forecast as of 6PM yesterday was for just 5-10 out of the south, but with a front coming tomorrow, I felt like it would be better that that today and was right! I got to Cook and it looked better than I expected, but died two seconds later, so I rigged 9.5 and Superlight. The I got out to the middle and it picked up so that I could almost rail for a second, but then it dropped off. The forecast was forSE which I never saw. Winds were southerly osccillating to SW and when it clocked to SW, it usually died down.

I sailed for 20 minutes, then came in to drink water and eat. 45 minutes later I went back out with the 9.5 and AHD and planed most of the time. That’s when I hit 22.4 mph!

I was hoping to top 25 mph, but was quite pleased with 22.4. I never saw a whitecap and guess the top wind I sailed in to be 14 mph.

No comments: