Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Day #25 on the lake, Day #4 for Karla

Max Temperature 93 °F / 33 °C
Wind Speed 8 mph / 12 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 17 mph / 28 km/h
Max Gust Speed 22 mph / 35 km/h


Part I
Watch Video

Part II
Watch Video
We didn't see the unpredicted wind reflected in the gold box above; that came after Karla left.

Karla hit the water around 11:00 am with Superlight and 5.3, sailing in 5-8 with occasional gusts to 11-ish. She had several crashes, but did extremely well. Sure, she still did some rounding up and falling and got backwinded a few times, but she also hung from the boom and got her speed up. It was a great day for her. A couple of times the wind shifted, she got backwinded but kept her cool, sailed backwards a bit and then recovered and went forward.

She left around 4 and I put the 9.5 on the Superlight. I wasn't sure I could get out of the cove without the wind dying, but it picked up once I got past the Marina and was blowing high teens on the lake. I had minimal downhaul and it was hairy reaching across big chop, so I came in and packed up after one run. Too bad it didn't do this last week when lake traffic was light.

1 comment:

PeconicPuffin said...

Go Karla! It starts like that, and soon enough you'll be flying in the footstraps.