Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Day #20 on the lake

Wind: 3-10, gusts 12

Tim met me at Hamilton Creek at 10:30 to sell me his 5.3 ProgressLine, which I will use for teaching. Karla, who found me on the Internet a week ago, arrived an hour later for her first lesson. Tim took off, but came back several hours later and took some photos which you will see below. THANKS, TIM!

Since this was my first beginner lesson this year, I thought I better make some notes last night and was glad I did. I printed and followed them for the land-based instruction.

Karla did really, really well and stayed upwind for the first part of the day, but began heading downwind later. Once when she sailed way downwind, I got her to meet me at the shore, I took over, and she first knealed and then stood up as I took us upwind.

She did so well that I taught her to bypass the uphaul on tacks, instead grabbing the mast as she steps around.

It was a true pleasure to have her as a student and I think she will be around for a long time!


Nice uphaul form!






Look how light the wind is. Look at that little 5.3.
Look at the trail behind Karla. That is good sailing!

1 comment:

James Douglass said...

Kudos for helping to get a beginner out on the water.

-James