Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

March 31st: Very sailable, but creepy

As yesterday was a sunny and warm Saturday, the plan was to sail early and miss the boatloads of morons who were sure to show up at the lake. I called Tim at 9:30, but it was an hour before I heard back from him and he wouldn’t be ready to sail until almost noon. Okay, the forecast had been upgraded from 5-15 to 10-20 and it was already gusting mid-20’s, so maybe the lake would not be too busy.

Just before it was about time to leave, I got a bad feeling about sailing. I called Tim and told him I just couldn’t shake it and I could not sail today. He understood of course since it was he and I who almost got killed by a boat.

I drove out to the lake an hour later and was found only 3-4 cars at Hamilton Creek, so I felt like I really made a bad call, but I was still spooked. Then I drove over the dam and the wind was now SW, so the wind shadow at the dam was over half of the lake. Of course, Cook would have been good in SW. Rats.

No comments: