Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Day #3 on the lake, the best yet!

Max Temperature 81 °F / 27 °C 63 °F / 17 °C 87 °F / 30 °C (1935)
Wind Speed 5 mph / 9 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 14 mph / 22 km/h
Max Gust Speed 17 mph / 28 km/h


Nate bugged out on me today and the wind didn’t look good (wunderground reported 9mph all morning), so Shadow.
I was taking a snack break around 2:30 or 3 when Tim W. showed up. We chatted for 10 minutes and then I had to get back out. Tim took a little while to join me, but the wind came up and we sailed until 5:00 PM with only one 20-minute break.

A couple of fishermen insisted on trolling in the middle of some of our best wind and there was one idiot jet-skier, but he didn’t bother us.

When we finally quit, we hung out on shore for maybe 45 minutes. It was the most perfect weather and beautiful sky I have seen in ages.

After sailing, I brought the trailer home, grabbed Shadow, and treated myself to some nice fish, rice and veggies. I stopped at Longhorn Steakhouse on the way home and got a piece of Key Lime Pie to g and I took a ride to Hamilton Creek around 12:30. It hadn’t dawned on me that since PPYC has a regatta this weekend, out-of-towners would be arriving and going for a sail to get a feel for the lake. The wind looked better than the reports I had seen and I ran into three guys from Kentucky who were about to launch a J-22, which was all I needed to make me run back home for the trailer. I was on the water by 1:30. I with the AHD 77 and a usually very-powered 9.5 and I cannot recall a day when my gear selection was more ideal for the conditions. I was never overpowered and rarely was I underpowered.

No comments: