Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Showing posts with label Shortboards. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Shortboards. Show all posts

Monday, July 23, 2007

Tim W. & Bob R. Photo

I'm dying to post something new since I moved this to Blogger, so here are Tim W. and Bob R. from a few autumns ago.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Day #23 on the lake!!!

Max Temperature 95 °F / 35 °C
Forecast: SW 5-15
Wind Speed 3 mph / 10 km/h
Max Wind Speed 15 mph / 24 km/h
Max Gust Speed 24 mph / 39 km/h


NEW GPS RECORD!!! 23.8 mph

They called for wind, but not this much wind!


I got on the water at 11:30 with the Fanatic, 7.5 and 13.5 ATX fin and had some great runs! Tim finally got on the water about an hour later. I had just thought how great I was pointing and how rusty Tim must be, but he shot upwind like a rocket and I worked for 30 minutes to get upwind to him. Winds were really gusty and shifty; we rarely caught the same lift or header.

I sailed from 11:30- 2:00, took an hour break, went back out for 30 minutes and was done.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Day #19 on the lake

Max Temperature 89 °F / 31 °C
Wind Speed 7 mph / 12 km/h
Forecast: NW 5-15 or NW 10-20 (wunderground/weather channel)
Max Wind Speed 13 mph / 20 km/h
Max Gust Speed 22 mph / 35 km/h
GPS: forgot to start the timer :(

I got busy building a new trailer box and then the rain kicked in and the wind died. We finally got some today, but boy it was trashy.It rained this morning, then the sun came out, but there wasn’t any wind until around noon. I took the trailer first to the dam, where I saw wind come from every direction at the same time, depending on where you were.

Then I drove to Cook and wished I’d brought the Superlight, as it was perfect 6 knots and not a soul in site.

Then I went to Cool Swimming Area and it looked like 8-9 over by Elm Hill Marina, but it would been iffy to get there.

Finally, I went to Hamilton Creek Boat Ramp and it was really dead all the way to Bear Island. After I picked up trash left from 4th of July fireworks, I went and gassed up and hit BK for a sandwich.

I went back to the boat ramp and thought I saw a couple of whitecaps. The wind was a litte more Northerly now and I thought I could make it out, but I wasn’t positive I would plane and wished I had the 10.5. I rigged the 9.5 with minimal downhaul.

Winds were so light I had to uphaul even though there were some gusts at the ramp. 30 yards out I fell when the wind died. As soon as I uphauled, the wind picked up, I got in the straps and was flying upwind. I was pointing really high and was getting so overpowered I had to bear off. I headed to the end of Anderson Road walking trail up by Bear Island to batten down the hatches. When I got there, I hopped off and looked upwind to see solid whitecaps! Damn, I wish I was on 5.5 right now and I’m quite sure 5.0 would work, too.

The water was really rough and I didn’t want to lug everything to shore and downhaul, so I moved the outhaul to the bottom grommet and maxxed the outhaul.

I was so OP’d going back toward the boat ramp that I stopped at the Anderson Rd. boat ramp to downhaul, but now it had let up and I decided to head in. Only the wind shifted and I had a terrible time getting back; I must have tacked a dozen times.

Once I got on the other side, the wind was alternately huge gusts and huge holes. I would see a gust coming, it would hit, off I would go only to get backwinded by a gust coming from the opposite direction.

I sailed for 40 minutes and that was enough.

The wunderground graph is complete bull as are the “Max” numbers above. I know I saw solid mid to high 20’s.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day #18 on the lake

NEW GPS SPEED RECORD! 24.0 mph

Max Temperature 88 °F / 31 °C
Wind Speed 3 mph / 9 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 15 mph / 24 km/h, mostly NE
Max Gust Speed 22 mph / 35 km/h
My Max Speed: 24.0 mph
Avg Speed: 5.6 mph
Distance: 17.33 miles

AHD Attitude Inspiro
9.5 V8
Techtonics Maui 58cm


I got on the water at Hamilton Creek Boat Ramp at 11:30 AM and sailed pretty much solid for 2 1/2 hours. I came in when I saw Bob H. rigging a 9.0, gave him a downhaul tool which he so needed, and was back out in 10 minutes.

I soon hit 20 on the GPS and hit 22.8 at one point, but I really wanted to hit 23. My last run in was a broad reach and I believe that is when I hit the big 24. I would guess, partially due to the smallish chop on that run, that max wind was 16 mph.

First sesh: 2:20 hours
Second sesh: 30 minutes.

Here is my course:



It was great day and I am tired.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day #17 on the lake

Thursday, June 14th, 2007

Max Temperature 92 °F / 33 °C
Wind Speed 2 mph / 4 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 14 mph / 22 km/h (I saw this when I got home this evening)
Max Gust Speed - none
GPS: Yeah, right.


I went to Hamilton Creek even though the forecast was NE 5. I arrived at noon, rigged Superlight/6.3 and putted around. There were some decent 7-8 puffs, so I worked on fast tacks and got them down much better.

Robyn finally made it out around 3:30 and we worked on her tacks and upwind techinque. She only sailed for 30 minutes and had to leave. I headed out of the harbor into the lake and there was a solid 9; I might have had fun on the 9.5. I made just a few short runs, then headed back.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Day #16 on the lake >> YEAH, BABY!

Tuesday, June 12th, 2007

Max Temperature 88 °F / 31 °C
Wind Speed 4 mph / 8 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 18 mph / 30 km/h
Max Gust Speed 24 mph / 39 km/h
GPS Top Speed: 20.7 MPH


What a great day! It’s 6:15 and still blowing 15 gusting to 21. The forecasts all said NE 5-10. Once forecast last night said 5-15, but this morning that was gone. Still, I had a feeling it would hit 15 and boy was I right! I sailed 7.5 and I bet I planed all but 10 minutes at most.

I checked the dam, but parking was pretty busy even at 11:30, so I went to Hamilton Creek boat ramp and it looked great; side-on and a fair amount of whitecaps up by Bear Island. I thought I could make it up there on 7.5 and AHD, so that is what I took and I was right. I had a bazillion great runs and worked my way up even with Anderson Road Swimming Area and the Elm Hill cliffs. It wa sha-weet! I sailed for an hour and 55 minutes, then came back in. Robyn was finally bringing her own gear, but had no mast and I needed to be there to lend her the correct mast and get her rigged.

Robyn has a narrowish 9′10″ Seatrend and about a 1988 Pryde 6.2 Sprint RAF. My 460 was a bit stiff for the sail, but it rigged okay and off she went. She immediately went downwind as she always does, but she stuck it out and worked her way back upwind. I guess she was out about an hour and I was really proud of her.

When she came back in, I sailed the board across the lake and got planing with the 6.2, but could not make it to the straps, so I moved the mastfoot back and inch and got in the front strap on the way back. What a nice day!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Day #9 on the lake

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007

Max Temperature 87 °F / 30 °C and sunny
Wind Speed 2 mph / 7 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 13 mph / 20 km/h
Max Gust Speed 18 mph / 30 km/h
GPS: Didn’t bother


Today’s S 5-15 forecast was pretty on the mark for a change. I took the AHD and Bee to Cook and it was blowing better than expected with a a few whitecaps. I rigged the 7.5 Bee, made a couple schlogging trips almost to Hamilton Creek and back before I got far enough upwind to hit the good stuff. I had maybe 5-6 good runs in the straps and man it was nice, but I could see it was dying, so after 30 minutes I went back to rig the 9.5. I was wearing the Camelbak and threw an energy thingy in it, hoping to stop somewhere for a pick-me-up.

I rigged the 9.5 according to specs for a change, meaning 30cm mast extension as recommended instead of 25, and I had her floppy down to the 3rd batten. Big mistake, I was hurting for power.

I sailed toward Hamilton Creek again, tacked a bunch trying to get upwind and realized I couldn’t point for crap. I thought about coming back to Cook, which was a straight shot, but I’d had a hard enough time getting upwind and didn’t want to lose it. I finally got to Bear Island and backed off the downhaul and I thought that would put more space between the foot of the sail and the cleat than I wanted, but it was just fine.

I had my energy thing and was glad I brought it. The air was in the mid-80’s but the water felt a little cool and I was actually chilly on shore for a minute when the wind honked.

Back on the water, the 9.5 was much better now. I usually go with 25cm extension for light wind and now I am certain that is right for the light stuff. I sailed for two hours on the 9.5/AHD.

When I saw it dying, I went in and got the air mattress out and carried that and my chair down to the beach. I only used the air mattress for a few minutes because I heard the maintenance guy with his weedeater, then heard the riding mower.

I did not want to go back out and leave an entire rig (or anything for that matter) on the beach where these 2-cycle morons would spray pebbles on it, so I sat in the chair and enjoyed the sun. Finally after 1:45 minutes, they came down my way and I said screw it, packed up and left. It was a very good day; I saw only a couple of power boats and four PWC, none of whom came anywhere close to me.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Day #8 on the lake

Max Temperature 83 °F / 28 °C
Surface water temperature is 74.3 degrees Fahrenheit, and 74.1 degrees at 10 feet.
Wind Speed 2 mph / 7 km/h ()
Max Wind Speed 14 mph / 22 km/h
Max Gust Speed 20 mph / 32 km/h
My Max GPS Speed: 22.4 mph
Total Distance: 10.45 miles


Today’s forecast as of 6PM yesterday was for just 5-10 out of the south, but with a front coming tomorrow, I felt like it would be better that that today and was right! I got to Cook and it looked better than I expected, but died two seconds later, so I rigged 9.5 and Superlight. The I got out to the middle and it picked up so that I could almost rail for a second, but then it dropped off. The forecast was forSE which I never saw. Winds were southerly osccillating to SW and when it clocked to SW, it usually died down.

I sailed for 20 minutes, then came in to drink water and eat. 45 minutes later I went back out with the 9.5 and AHD and planed most of the time. That’s when I hit 22.4 mph!

I was hoping to top 25 mph, but was quite pleased with 22.4. I never saw a whitecap and guess the top wind I sailed in to be 14 mph.