Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Day #39 on the lake

Max Temperature 76 °F / 24 °C
Wind Speed 6 mph / 10 km/h (South)
Max Wind Speed 17 mph / 27 km/h
Max Gust Speed 24 mph / 39 km/h


I was torn between sailing Shutes Branch with Jamey and Monte or going to sail with John C; I chose the latter because John has the Starboard Serenity which is touring the country and I wanted a ride before it leaves town this Saturday.

As you can see above, we had great weather and wind, but unfortunately we did not get to the water in time to see that wind. I saw a couple of whitecaps, but they were few and far between.

Everything I've read about the Serenity says you don't need a lot of sail to enjoy it, but I wanted to rig just once and planned on spending the bulk of my time planing on the AHD, so I rigged 9.5. It was certainly more power than the Serenity needed and that, in addition to my back being out of whack, are the main reasons I did not enjoy it. This board seems to have 1/10th the drag of other hulls and just takes off immediately. It is also quite narrow and as soon as you weight the board wrong, it starts turning. My aching back made me timid, so I let the board go where I had told it to go and was soon in the drink.

I soon went back and got the AHD and John and I sailed for about an hour, me on AHD/9.5 and John on Kona/7.5 Zenith. It was nice to blow by John for a change. :)




John's golf cart, all loaded up for the 1/2 block trek to the launch site.





Signed by Tiesda, cool!




Jim Drake designed it, but can't spell it. Hmm, I bet Newman Darby could. :)


















Driving back to town.



16 comments:

PeconicPuffin said...

LOL re Newman Darby. Too bad he couldn't spell "I need a strong patent". Have you seen the video of him sailing his early board? Looks like freestyle.

May you have a windy winter, and a drysuit!

LakeSailor said...

Dang, that's funny, thanks. :)

I saw a great photo of you in your local newspaper. Now that's what I call a windy winter!

Anonymous said...

May God bless and keep you Jerry...you're a hero. You will be missed.

The Dog said...

Jerry was a friend and a good guy.

Anonymous said...

Rest in Peace, Jerry.

PeconicPuffin said...

Oh man. I'm so sorry to learn this. Thank you for all the smiles. Rest In Peace.

Anonymous said...

WindSurfing Magazine is planning a short tribute to Jerry and would like a photo of him windsurfing. Please send to Josh:
joshua.sampiero@bonniercorp.com

Anonymous said...

Still missing my friend. Glad to see such beautiful photos and to hear your 'voice' once again. You are missed terribly.

PeconicPuffin said...

Bro, you still come to mind.

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Just wanted to let you know I found one of your free articles on the net and liked it so have published it on my own free articles website - so more free promotion for you! Please have a look at it and verify all okay. Let me know if any problems. if you have other articles you'd like me to publish, then please do send them along to howdo@rock.com. My site URL is www.howdohub.com. Your article in the "Windsurfing" section of my main index. Best wishes, Steve

PS. I'm running a free articles competition with a modest but neverhtless useful cash prize for the winner.

The Gilgul said...

Thanks for the special visit this weekend, BLP. It was beautiful music and I knew you were there. You're always with me. I'll see you on the other side.

Catapulting Aaron said...

I was just thinking about Jerry.

I still chuckle about the Newman Darby crack.

My best to his family and friends.

Anonymous said...

It's been 3 years since you did the right thing and paid with your life. You're still missed.

Dog

PeconicPuffin said...

Hey Jerry,

Something reminded me of you today. I'm always happy to be reminded of you, even though it stings.

Monte Dobson said...

Jerry I sure wish we could sail together again. Thanks for teaching me just because you thought it was fun.

PeconicPuffin said...

Hey Jerry,

You came up in a thread today. It was good to see your name.

RIP