Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Day #37 on the lake

Max Temperature 66 °F / 18 °C
Wind Speed 7 mph / 12 km/h (SSE)
Max Wind Speed 16 mph / 26 km/h
Max Gust Speed 21 mph / 34 km/h
Water Temp: low 60's


I expected to post a nice report a week ago, but missed two good days because there was nobody to sail with. Last Sunday looked great and last Monday saw gusts over 55 MPH and I won't go out in that kind of wind without company. Yesterday I finally got back on the lake.

I drove to Hamilton Creek and saw one or two whitecaps, but it was mostly hovering around 10MPH, so I called Bob and said I didn't think I would sail. He called back 15 minutes later and said he was going to go to Cook, so I went home and grabbed the trailer, calling Jamey on the way. When I was a mile from Cook, Bob called and said it was too light and he was leaving.

Jamey and I met at Cook around 1:30; I rigged 9.5/big AHD and Jamey sailed his NTrance and 6.5 (his only gear). I saw the best wind of the day when I pulled into the parking lot. If only I had a nickel for every time I've said that...

We could have sure used more wind, but there were seven or eight sailboats out, one or two powerboats and no PWC, so it was nice to be out on the water. In the 45 minutes we sailed, I had three or four nice runs in the straps and the rest was fast slogging.

We met a couple who just bought a Hobie Wave and they had a great Rottweiller that really enjoyed playing with (my dog) Shadow. We met another nice couple who had a Border Collie and a Beagle. All dogs got along really well. I also met an older family who was out walking and taking photos and a Greek man who was doing the same. It was a nice low-key day and all the right people seemed to know it; i.e., no jet-skiers!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh...nothin' like a good 4 dog day :)

LakeSailor said...

Mo, you so crazy. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, mama told me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ITVD9A3hA
it's almost as good as a Three Dog Night...
out in the country...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUK3bSQgP4


:)

LakeSailor said...

Wow, those vids bring back some memories.

Here's another little ditty from the same songwriter (America's greatest, I might add): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzNVvKCzTo