Tales of Windsurfing on a Lake in the Southeast U.S.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Day #34 on the lake

Max Temperature 75 °F / 23 °C
Wind Speed 8 mph / 13 km/h (NW)
Max Wind Speed 17 mph / 27 km/h
Max Gust Speed 24 mph / 39 km/h
GPS Max: 23.5 MPH

The forecast of 5-15 had several of us making plans the night before, but we did not expect it to be this good. Monte D., Jamey R. and I launched at Cook. Bob H. was also in attendance, but is still learning his new kite gear and didn't sail.

The wind line was so far out that I was torn between 9.5 and 7.5, finally choosing to go big rather than risk schlogging. That fear was unfounded; I don't think I came off plane in the 2 1/2 hours I sailed.

I was really impressed with how well Monte and Jamey did without harnesses. At one point I had a fully to overpowered reach from the end of the Anderson Road Walking Trail to above Cook Point, where I stopped to rest. When I realized it was way too windy to waterstart, I looked for them and they were both in the water near the end of Bear Island, so I thought I better head down there and give them a hand. By the time I got there, they were both well upwind.

I have no photos from today as I only had my film camera, but I'll post them when the roll is done.

No comments: